Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mixed Media Monday 7/28




This is my submission for the Mixed Media Monday Challenge ~ Generations. This challenge immediately inspired me...my mind zoned in on a packet of old photos of my mother. Several months after her death (a 7-yr. battle with breast cancer), one of her best friends that she had grown up with sent the packet to my father (she is also in the picture with my mother). Not knowing what to do with the photos, they had been safely tucked away as if preserving a sacred part of my mother that was now gone. Suddenly inspired, I knew exactly which photo I wanted to use. I love the graininess of the photo, the dated wallpaper in the background and, of course, the dresses. Mom is the girl on the right in the simple white dress with dark buttons. I think those buttons made me think this ATC needed some stitching with black thread.

There are quite a few other photos; slumber parties, sunbathing, fishing, building snowmen, and one that looks like Mom and her friend are awaiting their dates to a high school dance (my mom's date was most likely my dad ~high school sweethearts). Even though those photos were taken years and years before I came along, I feel I get to share a bit of my mother's youth.

10 comments:

Gabrielle Madsen said...

This is fantastic! I love the texture effects, the stitching and the embossing! Thanks for sharing.

Aino said...

Lovely, very nice and beautiful.

Kathy said...

Very nice, and your story...very touching.

Heather Robinson said...

I found this piece so touching and your accompanying entry describing how you came to use this photo in your artwork was so lovely. I think it is an honour to be able to honour our loved ones in art! Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, gorgeous, Diane! Diane (the other one)

Anonymous said...

Its gorgeous.

My Creative House said...

This is just beautiful, and a fine story.

Barb said...

What a nice way to remember your Mom. Very touching. Thanks for sharing.

Karen Salva said...

Really lovely, such emotion and honor in this piece. How wonderful to have all those treasured photos!

Gillian .... said...

Fantastic piece, love all the texture, stitching etc.